Saturday, May 17, 2014

Deliciously Nutritious, Unbelievably Easy, Chicken Noodle Soup

I have had a nasty flu-ish disease for the past 3 days and am finally getting over it. My digestive system has been on strike but I'm appeasing it with some homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. Unlike most of my kitchen experiments, this recipe was a smashing success the first time I made it around 7 years ago. My family loved it and my mom told me to write down what I'd done but it was so easy I didn't need to. The beauty is in the simplicity.


You will need: Chicken breasts (frozen or thawed), egg noodles, 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (I recommend Campbell's but only because if I buy the Wal-mart brand I feel the need to pick out all the little chicken bits cuz they look gross to me.), and salt. Yup, that's it! (You can also add carrots if you want some more vitamins and color...I guess in theory you could also add celery but I have no idea why anyone would want to.)

If the outward beauty of this recipe is is it's simplicity then its inner beauty is in its adaptability and freedom from measuring. I hate to measure; I cook like the fairies in Sleeping Beauty. If you only want enough for yourself then just cook 1 chicken breast and if you want enough for a family of 7 then use the whole package. For 1 serving use about a cup of egg noodles, for the whole fam use the whole bag. I hope you can figure out a small can of Cream of Chicken vs the Family Size...

To begin: Place chicken (frozen or thawed) in pot and cover with water, boil until fully cooked.

Then: DO NOT DRAIN! Remove chicken to another dish (paper plates do not have to be washed ;) and let cool.

Afterwhich: Add Cream of Chicken to broth in pot (Bonus: this recipe does not use multiple pots and pans! And all the lazy people say: Yaaay!!!).

Furthermore: Add noodles to pot and cook til done, don't let them get too squishy. :P You can turn the heat down a little for this phase if you need to. Stir periodically.

During which: You can either use your hands or a couple of forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized chunks and add it back into the pot, this is the most tedious part, but it still doesn't take long.

Finally: Salt to taste (unless you're a salt-a-holic, *ahem*Mom!* then salt only a little bit and let your diners add more if they wish) and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment